Friday 22 July 2011

Hello Divin

So I have arrived in Divin, a small village in between Detva and Lucenec. Im here waiting for my Slovak friend Rusty to arrive from England with his bike. I have set up camp in his mothers back garden. She is also in England so my only company is Jan, his uncle... who along with nearly everybody in this village speaks not a single word of english.

At first, the people of Divin are not all smiles and even the women in the little supermarket are upset with me when I want to pay for a bottle of water with a 10 euro note. Well I have four days here so its my mission to make them smile by the end!


My camp in Helenas back garden, you can see my shower bag hung up to the right!



After collapsing the first night Jan decides to take me for a walk on the second day. We end up walking to the ruins of the Divin castle and enjoying the view.




  
I do quite like spending time here, In Helenas back garden. However, it is a bit weird being woken up at 7 in the morning to the sound of Abba and their Dancing Queen being blasted over the village loud speaker system. They have them dotted all over the village even up the hill where Jan lives so nobody misses out!

The weather in Divin is very strange. It is boiling hot during the day but as night draws in the clouds sweep over the village and the heavy rain, thunder and lightning all get together for a huge party over my tent. Divin, as is most of Slovakia, is covered and surrounded by hills and mountains so it can be difficult to see the rain clouds coming.

The village is super cheap, it is so cheap it makes me laugh when I pay for things. My favourite pizza restaurant here serves a large pizza, ham, cheese and herbs, large enough to fill me up and it comes to a grand total of TWO POUNDS and twenty pence. Crazy stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment!!!